Moving into your brand new home is an exciting time, but it can also involve a lot of work and organization. There are several steps involved in moving to a new home, and we wanted to ensure that your move to Maple Crest is as painless as possible! That’s why we’ve put together the ultimate checklist for moving to a new home. Read our blog and download the checklist to have everything you need for your upcoming move!
Checklist Items Before the Move
1. Set Up or Transfer Your Utilities
Moving means ensuring your utilities (gas, water, electricity, home security system, internet, and TV) are all set up before you sit back and relax at your new home. If you have owned a home in Edmonton previously, you may be able to simply transfer your utilities to your new address in Maple Crest; however, if Maple Crest is your first home in Edmonton you’ll need to start from scratch. No matter which company you go with, you’ll need to contact your provider at least 3 weeks before you plan to move into your new home, as well as set up an end date for current providers.
2. Book a Time with Movers
Whether you’re hiring a professional moving company or simply renting a moving van and getting help from friends and family, it’s important to get your moving date solidified and booked with whoever you will need to help move.
2. Begin Packing
Packing is one of the most time-consuming parts of moving to a new home. We never really know how much stuff we have until it’s being put in a series of boxes. When packing, we suggest you put your belongings into three different piles: keep, throw away, and donate/sell. Moving is a great way to downsize items that don’t work or are never used. A good rule of thumb is if you haven’t used it in a year (or two seasons, if it’s a seasonal item) it’s best to get rid of it.
A few tips for packing include:
- Work methodically from room to room, don’t jump around the house
- Clearly label everything from what’s inside to where in the new home it should be placed (and if it’s fragile!)
- Bubble wrap and padding are your friends
- Document all your valuables for insurance purposes
- Don’t make your boxes too heavy, if they’re heavy they are more likely to be dropped
- Start with packing your non-essential items first, then work your way up in importance.
- Keep all key documentation and or keepsakes in a single box, and ensure you move this yourself.
3. Update Your Address
Updating your address is an important step in moving. Your home address is connected to many aspects of your life from finances to personal identification. It can be a time-consuming process, so be sure to start with the essentials:
- Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)
- Your bank
- Your car registration and insurance
- Drivers license
- Schools and universities
- Any clubs or associations you are a part of
- Alberta Health Services
- Individual healthcare professionals (doctor, dentist, veterinarian, etc.)
- Canada Pension Plan
- Old Age Security
- Employment Insurance
- Canada Post
- Friends and relatives
Canada Post offers mail forwarding services where most of your mail will be automatically forwarded to your new address for 3 to 12 months so you can ensure you still receive all your mail, even if you forget to update your address with some institutions.
4. Schedule a Cleaning
Before you move, you may want to schedule a cleaning service for your current home. This will ensure that whoever is moving into your previous home will have a clean slate, as well as ensure you get a full deposit back if you are renting. You can also schedule a cleaning service for your new home; however if you’re buying a brand new home in Maple Crest that won’t be necessary! Brand new homes are professionally cleaned ahead of your move-in date, and all of this is taken care of by your builder.
5. Take Time Off For Moving
You will want to take a minimum of your moving day off work to ensure you can be fully present. It is often considered beneficial to take a few days off after moving to get your new home sorted out, if you are able to do so.
6. Organize Child and Pet Care
Moving can be dangerous for small children and pets. Before moving, be sure to have a plan for who will take care of your children and pets.
7. Create a Moving-Day Plan
Organization is the key to a successful move. Create a plan for moving items out of your old home and into your new one! Determine a start time, schedule (including breaks), the order you would like things moved as well as where furniture and boxes should be stored. Having a clear plan will help keep you on track as well as stop you from exhausting yourself.
Checklist Items for After the Move
1. Take Your Time Unpacking
You have spent days and weeks meticulously putting your entire life into boxes, make sure you are just as careful while unpacking. It can be tempting to just throw items where they fit without planning where you would like to unpack, and this can often mean you end up re-doing all your unpacking work months down the road. Take your time to plan how you would like to unpack, as well as ensure everything fits how you would like it to.
2. Understand Your Home’s Inner-Workings
When you move into your new home in Maple Crest, our builder will take you through a possession inspection to ensure everything is in working order, as well as show you different emergency features. Here are a few things to pay attention to and make sure you know inside and out:
- Where your shut-off valves are located
- Where your circuit breaker is located, as well as what each breaker controls
- Test your smoke detectors
- Understand your HVAC system
- Ensure all your windows and doors properly lock and seal
3. Purchase Any Home Essentials
Here’s a list of a few home essentials you should have:
- New security system/video doorbell if you’re not transferring from our previous home
- Tool kit
- Personal items such as a first aid kit, toilet paper, hand soap, paper towels, cleaning supplies, garbage bags, etc.
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Fire extinguisher
4. Get to Know Your Neighbourhood
Moving to a new home usually means a brand new community. It’s a great idea to check out all the local parks and businesses as well as find any new services you may require. Spend some time exploring and getting to know your new neighbourhood. Make sure you enjoy a walk through the community to get to know the area; Maple Crest has a spectacular set of trails you can explore! You can also check out our blog on tips for moving to a new community.
Maple Crest is a wonderful community to move to! If you’re moving to a brand new home in Maple Crest, we hope that our checklist helps make the process as easy as possible for you!